Thursday, October 19, 2006

MMMBop and Safety Head Gear

I feel that it's high time that I stopped hiding behind the photogenic good looks of Big Hanson (aka, Isaac or Ringo-Hanson) and revealed myself as his less-fortunate doppleganger. If only I could have been more like the girly one, all the more to further my drag queen successes. Apparently Big Hanson recently tied the knot, the last of the brothers to do so. I have been surprised at how few people remember the Hanson sensation. Surely if I were to play the repetitive, overplayed, and, let's face it, incredibly catchy "MMMBop" people would quickly recall the screaming teeny boppers. Still, I do believe that they had a whole lot more talent than a lot of popular chart music today (they just don't make them like they did in the old days). For prosperity's sake I'll keep the image of Isaac (with the partial heads of Zac and Taylor) here:


Dearest Cassie recently rummaged through her memorabilia of those good old days, mostly looking for pictures of yours truly in drag, and posted them on her blog. And so it was that one of these photos has come to adorn my blog profile. A little background: to the best of our knowledge, this photo was taken at Cass' 18th Birthday. The head apparel I'm sporting was designed and assembled by the incredibly talented James, as a gift for Cass. The T-shirt, with the caption "Call Me Burroughs", (below which was a picture of good old Willy Burroughs), was one of my favourites, which I wore continuously until it fell apart. I remember Nicole finding it for me at a flee market. Happy days.

The photo reminds me of my desire to get a Vespa and ride it resplendent in a bright orange helmet, with antennae, making Meep Meep noises at passing motorists (something like Beaker from the Muppets). I read recently about a study which found that people sans helmets were less likely to be involved in car accidents (very scientific, I imagine). (Apparently, the guy also dressed up in drag to discover that drivers gave him even more room). Probably, this is likely to do with driver psychology, that is, drivers will give more room to people not wearing helmets because they might perceive them as less experienced, less predictable and more likely to die if there is an accident. Helmet or no, I don't really like my chances in an accident. By this logic I should be very safe on the road in this fashionable contraption.

7 comments:

Cass said...

I know someone who actually KNOWS you (can't say who) who didn;t realise that photo of Big Hanson was not actually just a very odd photo of you. HA!

Owen said...

Have I had sex with this person?

Anonymous said...

Is that the first question you ask now to track down who someone is?

Owen said...

I'm pretty shit at 20 questions.

Cass said...

Having no idea how many people you've had sex with, but knowing that the probability of it being any given one of them AND me also knowing them would narrow the field down considerably; in all fairness, you can't expect me to answer that question.

Owen said...

So, in other words, yes. It's Dan isn't it...

Anonymous said...

Slept with them or no, everyone knows that it's a big forks paz to discuss previous daliances whilst dilly dallying with someone in a serious fashion... If you catch my drift. Leave it to the desperados.

I had no idea that you were so concerned with fairness Cass....