Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Table for One at the Philosophical Steak House

Well, what did you expect whist dining at a philosophical steak house? Lettuce? There are some things you just shouldn't ask me, or bring up whilst I'm anywhere in the vicinity. I'm sure Jodi would be happy to compile a list for you. Among them would be: "what's the chances of that happening?", "so, what are you studying again?" and "I just don't get evolution?". Something I'd like to share with you: for those of you who might worry about being rude to Mormons who tackle you at bus stops and the like: if you ever try to talk about your own existential dilemma's they are sure to bugger off quick smart (faster than if you told them to, outright). Rejected by Mormons and other religious nuts, it's a lonely life being someone who thinks too much.

I probably didn't make it clear in my previous blog, I'm not actually an atheist, even though I think evolution is a pretty powerful explaining tool. The truth is I'm all tangled up in the concept of "Truth". I was brought up a Christian, and although I have found it important to question such things, I still regard the pursuit of things spiritual as most important. I'm Agnostic, that is to say, I believe that nothing can be known of the existence of God. I believe that people who are blindly atheistic are, in many ways, as bad as religious fundamentalists. I'd like to share a satiric cartoon of the atheist by Jack Hamm. I'll let it speak for itself (Although, I will say that I think it makes my blog look smarter and also notice the absence of pants):


A story I'd like to relate: there was this one time I was reading a book about artificial intelligence on the train and these two girls asked me what I was reading. Happy to oblige, I recounted the entirety of the subject matter of PHIL101, "Mind and Machine", which I did during my first year, to them. Strutting my intellectual prowess, I talked of Searle's Chinese Room, The Turing Test and Descartes' Demon. After I'd finished bombarding them with this crap, I asked them if they thought it would ever be possible for a machine to think? One of the girls looked at me and said "Well, I think, there's so much space up there there is bound to be life somewhere out there..." Apparently, we'd started talking about extra-terrestrials. Now, I say that philosophising is like having a good tug. So, here I am, trying to strut my stuff, doing some weird philosopher mating ritual, and in actual fact all I'm doing is just jacking all over myself. I note that these rambling sessions are followed by a great feeling of elation, having got all this stuff off my chest, closely followed by a sharp pathetic feeling. A friend of mine recounted a joke by Daniel Kitson where he reflected on the elation of masturbation being followed by an awkward moment of clarity, where you realise that standing over the toilet bowl, pants around your ankles, is rather depressing.

7 comments:

Cass said...

Owen,

Why must you continue to sully my mind with the idea of you, sans pants, dick in hand?

I may have to start a protest movement. Is anyone else with me?

P.S. You haven't really lived the train-ride reading phenomenon until you've had a bunch of sleepy eyed women wearing commute-footwear stare at the cover of your book entitled "SEX in Elizabethan England", where SEX is in 46 point font and the rest of the title in a less noticable 26 points. Good times.

Anonymous said...

Actually, Kitson's favourite place was the kitchen. But, much of a muchness.

That's why it's always good to read the stuff with the articles, distracts from the vague, empty feeling...

Or so i'm told.

Adam

Owen said...

My humble apologies Cass.

Anonymous said...

Or so you're told, eh, Adam?
Wasn't it you that told me once that you can't love others till you've learned to love yourself?

Although, by the flow of conversation here it could've easily been Owen- you really do enjoy the PT chat don't you?

Musk stick anyone?

Cass said...

Meanwhile, it is quite disarming how much your avatar looks like a much younger Owen, the one with the poopy in his hair.

Ben, bless him, was not actually aware that it was "big Hanson". He thought it really was a picture of you...snigger...

Owen said...

poopy in my hair? Cass?

Cass said...

Poppy. I meant poPPy.

Ah, the often Freudian nature of typos....