Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Intelleckual Wank, ah Reckon

Just in case anybody was wondering, I did attempt to write a post this week. I spent all this time trying to formulate a post explaining my PhD work, which I hoped would be accessible to most people, who, wisely, wouldn't normally spend too much time thinking about about such things. The result was a bit of a wank. I decided at the last moment (actually a little after I'd published it) that I had an ethical responsibility to spare you all and retract it. Still, it seemed a shame to waste - so here it is again, slightly altered after the suggestions made by the rednecks at a site I discover on my internet travels. I'm sure it'll make about as much sense...

Ah said in an earlier post thet th' focus of mah PhD was evolushunary ethics, in particular biological altruism, namely th' evolushun of agin'. When ah say agin' ah mean - death by internal cuzs. Thar is argoomnts which pursue th' line thet agin' is a by-produck, i.e., an inevitable part of livin'. E.g, acco'din' t' th' code o' th' heells! like a car, o' enny other mechanical device, which is created an' inevitably deterio'ates wif age. But o'ganisms, unlike cars, is subjeck t'continuous flux of material, cells is continuously dyin' an' bein' replaced, like a starfish which will grow back a sevahed arm, we is livin'! Fry mah hide! Thar is menny examples of o'ganisms fo' which agin' death is like programmed se'f destruckshun (i.e. an adappashun, by which ah mean, a chareeckeristic which sarves an evolushunary benefit). It is mah projeck t'attempp t'explain whut postible benefit thar c'd be t'agin' an' how it'd manifess itse'f.

Consider this: it is obvious thet thar kin be no benefit t'th' indivijool who dies of old age, as they will no longer be aroun' t'see, an' receive, th' consequences. Thus, an adappive agin''d seem t'be th' ultimate negashun of thet fine known adage "survival of th' fittest", thet is, until we reviset whut is meant by th' fittess - in particular cornsider th' quesshun "th' fittess whut?". Th' obvious interpretashun of "survival of th' fittest" is t'reckon in terms of th' indivijool - th' strongest, most ruthless, se'fish indivijool - "nature, red in tooth an' claw". Although, this hyar is an undeniably strong facko' in evolushun, sech a simplistic view leads t'th' abho'rent politics an' ethics of th' Social Darwinites. ah hark on th' title of a popular book by Richard Dawkins called "Th' Se'fish June", which I'd highly recommend eff'n yo' haf even th' slightess interess in th' topic. Th' concepp of th' se'fish june points out thet th' units of seleckshun is not th' indivijool o'ganisms, which is merely tempo'ary vessels, but th' junes themselves, which is eternal, ah reckon. Dawkins insists on th' inclushun of th' wo'd "se'fish" in his title, holdin' thet evolushun still, essentially, favours th' se'fish, jest at a diffrunt level. Th' concepp of th' june transcends th' indivijool an' spills into, obviously, close relatives who share a common ancesto' (an' hence th' same junes) an', less obviously, by extenshun, th' group/species. Thus, our agin' june, which c'd haf no benefit t'th' indivijool, kin still benefit th' replicashuns of itse'f in neighbours.

Th' challenge now is t'dexcribe a benefit which c'd outweigh th' costs - sumpin I've got a few answers to. In all cases, agin' benefits th' populashun by makin' room fo' th' yo'ng, which c'd be useful fo' various reasons which ah won't hoof it into at th' moment.

Eff'n one wanted t'a take a particularly pervahse view on this, one c'd argue fo' th' ethical killin' of old varmints (Soylent Green is PEOPLE! Fry mah hide!), in th' name of progress. ah varmintally'd rather use it t'find peace in mah mo'tality. Regardless, ah reckon it is interestin' t'note th' amount of attenshun our society gives t'agin'. Consider th' market fo' anti-agin' producks - cornsider th' promise of eternal life, common t'th' majo'ity of religions.

8 comments:

wire said...

an enjoyable read but then you stopped just before the best bit - the (possible) benefits of death by natural causes/aging. Post again and tell us what you have concluded :)

Owen said...

Thanks wire. I must say, I didn't expect anybody to follow, especially after I'd redneckised it! I was thinking about linking to my papers in the sidebar for anybody who was interested in my PhD work (well, I think it's interesting). I'll get onto it this weekend.

Anonymous said...

You've defininely lost me on that one O. I might have stood some chance reading the original, but I lose the meaning whilst trying to decipher the text. I guess i'll have to leave all the smart stuff to 'youse intellektools'.

Anonymous said...

I agree with wire. Cuz it seems to me you're only looking at 'alf the equashun.

I'm not sure how I can explain it without starting to sound all hippy-pyscho-pseudo-spirito-religious mumbo jumbo so let me put it thus:

Life and death are merely a matter of perspective.

Your theory, as I understand it - please correct me if I'm wrong - implies that ageing leads to death and that's the end of the story for the individual. The conundrum is 'how does this benefit the individual?'

But suppose life and death are merely different parts of an extended journey, much like childhood, adolescence and adulthood are viewed as parts of one's single life journey.

Consequently, the events of and subsequent lessons learned by an individual during his/her "life" serve to make him/her grow stronger and prepare for the next phase which we call death.

Maybe Tim Burton illustrated this best in The Corpse Bride. "Life" was dull and grey. It was in "death" where all the best action occurred and where most of the fun was had.

Owen said...

Thanks guys for expressing an interest. Gee, I'm wishing I hadn't defaced that last post now. Not that it would have mattered, because I think I failed to make some very important points: firstly, when I'm talking about aging, I'm talking, in particular, about the death part of aging; secondly, although I initially intended to write about aging, I instead wrote about altruism (aging, being my example of altruism) which I feel needs to be dealt with first; and thirdly, I unjustly assumed people would understand the context, that is, the history of the argument.

I tried to write a comment to clarify, but it ended up looking decidedly like a post, so that is what it'll become. I think a good system with these types of posts would be to encourage readers to have their say in the comments, but, to avoid getting myself into any deep discussions in the comment section. If appropriate, and I imagine it would be, I'll use the feedback I get through comments to fuel the next blog posting on the topic.

Any other unresolved issues will be settled over a coffee/tea or in a boxing ring.

Cass said...

I think Terry's complicating the point unnecesserily.

The hypothesis is not to prove a spiritual and/or phychological purpose to aging and/or death. As I understand it, it's to investigate the scientific and/or evolutionary purpose of the built in "use by date" of all living things.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Owen said...

That's right, Cass. It is a little after the point. The problem is: how could an organism which deteriorates with age ever compete, evolutionarily, with an immortal super organism? Nevertheless, I do think Terry raises an interesting line to pursue, something which I was hoping to address in a later post. Today, I'm running a seminar at Uni on my speciation work. I always feel a panic when I do public speaking. Wish me luck...

Dboy said...

Haha, Fry mah hide! I gotta use that thing in one of my classes...